Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Back to First Grade!


"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you'll go."
— Dr. Seuss, "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!"

Lots of changes are up ahead for me in the next month and especially the next school year.  I thrive on change and new adventures though, so I could not be more excited than I am right now.  I got a new job (teaching First Grade again), in a new district, and moving to the East side of Michigan (where I grew up)!  I taught First Grade for two years before my last two years teaching Second.  I absolutely LOVED Second Grade, but there was always piece of my heart that was left in First Grade :)  The growth in First Grade can just not be compared to any other grade in my opinion.  Reading and writing growth are HUGE and it is so exciting to be a part of this.  Can you tell I have endless passion for First Grade?  I think it's going to be a phenomenal year to say the least...
Here's the thing though...I need to immerse myself back into that First Grade mindset I was in 2+ years ago.  I know it will come back naturally, but I could use any advice you have.  In the past year, I have really gotten into technology with my students/families such as using: KidBlog, classroom Facebook page, classroom Twitter page, and many other abundant resources out there.  I am determined to use most/all of these but will of course go about them in a whole new way.  This I am excited about.  Something I am familiar with, but a new twist on it!
Where to start?  Morning Meeting/Calendar routine.  Today I will be comparing/contrasting the Michigan GLCEs and CCSS.  My new school has not made the switch to CCSS yet, but I figured that I may as well begin making the connections.  I need to update my routine with this part of the day making sure to touch on certain GLCEs/CCSS every day to make my students successful.  I have a few questions for my PLN out there:
What essential activities do you do for your Morning Meeting/Calendar time?   
My goal is to create a daily page for students to fill in as we are doing Calendar time to help with the date, weather, telling time, counting, etc.  Do you do something similar?  If so, please share helpful tips as I am creating mine.
I look forward to this new journey and learning from all of you on the way!  I will be sure to share what I come across as well :)  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather,
    I teach 1st grade in Michigan. During my morning meeting time, my students do a morning message and calendar math daily. If you visit my pinterest page, you can find a few different calendar math pages that I've pinned.
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete